America’s Industrial Revolution transformed all sectors of the
economy and changed society. In the text (Chapter 17 p. 310-317), some
of the business practices of the late 1800s and early 1900s are
described. There are pros and cons to these developments. On one hand,
they streamlined costs and made goods and new products available to many
more consumers. But, there were also consequences—some unintended.
Choose one of these two new problems introduced by the American Industrial Revolution.
- The development of monopolies instead of a competitive business market.
- Unsafe and oppressive work conditions.
Then, in a full paragraph or two:
- Identify your chosen problem.
- Discuss a specific example from that period that clearly
illustrates the chosen problem and a negative consequence of it. What
did the government do about this—and what should it have done?
- Identify a similar problem or example that exists in the USA today.
- Identify the source(s) where you read about the problem.