OSHA places requirements on both employers and employees to help ensure a safe workplace.
Please respond to all of the following prompts:
Since the goal of OSHA is to ensure a safe workplace, some
employers require employees to submit to drug tests and criminal
background checks as a condition of employment.
- What is the purpose and function of the act?
- What is the employer’s role in overseeing OSHA standards?
- Do these pre-employment requirements (i.e. drug screening, criminal checks) help make the workplace safer? Why or why not?
- Do these requirements infringe on an employee’s right to privacy? Why or why not?
- If you were an employer, would you refuse to hire anyone with a criminal background? What factors would you consider?
- Discuss how pre-employment requirements help ensure a safer workplace.
- Do you think the penalties for OSHA violations are appropriate, too strict, or too lenient?