eview one of the Op-Ed pieces available from the links below that have been prepared in the past by individuals with a recognizable by-line and/or an interest in the topic.
NOTE: These are intentionally older Op-Ed pieces so that you have a way to comment on the issue after it has been in the public forum for a while. Often times Op-Ed writers have to do research to get the public’s opinion and/or to draft their view.
Answer the following questions as part of your critique/evaluation in a document of no more than 2 pages. You only need to choose one Op-Ed.
- What issue is under discussion? What is the author’s position on the issue?
- What is the tone of the opinion piece (favorable, unfavorable)?
- What is the person’s expertise on the topic? Does this seem appropriate?
- What benefit, if any, does the person’s organization appear to be gaining from this placement?
- If you had to write a response to this piece, what details or arguments might you propose?