Nursing and abused people
- Place name on top left or right corner of paper
- No single word responses
- At least 50+ words in each response to questions
- Give questions some thought and answer honestly and sincerely
- Give examples to explain what you mean
- Mr. CO
- 75 year old male
- Admitted with pulmonary fibrosis
- As you are going towards the room to administer medications you hear his son say to him in a nasty tone of voice: “Stop being so stubborn. I need you to give me access to your bank accounts. You’re going to die alone unless you start cooperating.”
- As you enter he room, the son leaves quickly
- You notice the patient has tears in his eyes
- You ask “Is everything okay?”
- Patient shakes his head yes. Remains nonverbal
- You give the medications and leave the room
- Did you notice any signs of elder abuse? If so, what types of elder abuse were noted?
- What signs, (in the scenario) if any suggest that the nurse should ask some follow up questions?
- As a nurse in this scenario what is your next action?
- What actions would you NOT take?
- What if the patient said “NO” when you asked if everything was okay?
- What questions would you ask to complete a nursing assessment?
- What is your emotional response to the thought of caring for an older adult who has been mistreated?
- What would you do to conduct a clinical assessment for screening and detection of elder mistreatment
- What are general warnings signs of elder abuse?
- How can older adults protect themselves from ever becoming victims of abuse or mistreatment?
You are viewing social media at home when you notice one of your coworker’s posts. The post is complaining about an elderly patient on your unit. The post reveals that the patient has Alzheimer’s disease and is “crazy” and states “I can’t wait until she is transferred out of here and back to Comfort Care Homes. After this shift, you will find me at the bar, line them up, I will need it.” Additionally, the coworker’s full name, occupation and employer are listed on their “about me” page.
What would you do regarding this posting? Explain clearly