Most of us are familiar with the role of a manager and a leader. We also know the functions each is expected to perform. However, there is a trend in the UK that puts managers in a different role. This trend is manager as coach (MAC) and will be the focus of this assignment. Before beginning the tasks, please read the following article:
Ladyshewsky, R. K. (2010). The manager as coach as a driver of organizational development.Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 31(4), 292-306.
- What is meant by the terms manager as coach (MAC)?
- Is this role more appropriate for a leader or manager?
- What are the advantages of it? What are the disadvantages?
- How does it fit with the other roles of a manager and leader?
- Would this be an effective tool in a healthcare setting? Why or why not?