The purpose of this assignment is to analyze evidence based research pertaining to muscle relaxants and their effects upon rehabilitation interventions.
Locate one peer-reviewed research article (from within the past 10 years) on one of the following topics:
- Botulinum toxin for spasticity
- Intrathecal Baclofen pump
- Skeletal muscle relaxers for cervical or lumbar pain
Complete a 2-3 page paper that addresses the following:
- Introduction of topic and why it is important. (3 points)
- Summary of the study and its key points/conclusions. (4 pts)
- Purpose of study
- Subjects and methods
- Results (include relevant data)
- Authors’ conclusions
- Your analysis of the reliability, validity, and clinical application of the information. (5 pts)
- A discussion about how this drug might influence physical rehabilitation treatment based upon the information in the study. (i.e., positive or negative? Would you advocate for its use? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Etc.) (10 pts)
- Identify one specific piece of evidence-based information from this article that you could utilize to educate patients (3 pts)
Writing Guidelines (5 points):
- Write in your own words. In-text citations required for paraphrasing and direct quotes. No more than 2 direct quotes in your paper.
- In-text citations must include author(s) and year.
- References at end of paper must include author(s), year, title, publication title, and source or retrieval information.
- Proofread for correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar, sentence structure
- Double-spaced, Arial or Times New Roman 12-point font, one inch margins
Save your file as a Word document (.docx).
Include the term Relaxants and your Last Name when saving your file. Example: Relaxants_Smith.docx
Upload your completed document using the Browse button, and then click the Submit button.