For this assignment, you will complete the fifth essay of the scenario-based case study. The essay should be a one- to two-page narrative focusing on arguments that support what the authors discuss in Chapters 8, 9, and 11, as well as other research that you conduct related to these concepts. You are to focus on one or two concepts in this unit’s chapters and relate to the fire that now involves several rooms and other apartments. Make sure the points are tangible. The narrative should consist of your evaluation of the textbook and other resources, listing the most compelling evidence or argument.
The questions below may help you to focus your essay on the one or two concepts chosen.
- How does the rate of flame spread over the surface of the cooking oil (liquid) depend on the flash point?
- If the cooking oil is at or above its flash point, is the flame spread rate fast, and will the spilled oil engulf with flames within seconds?
- With the intense heat in the room, is the cooking oil already evaporating sufficiently to reach the lower flammability limit in the vapor phase over the fuel surface?
- Does chemical change occur within solid materials in and around the apartment and within the chemistry of the volatiles during pyrolysis?
- Does the dripping or running of the synthetic fabric that is draped from the ceiling to the floor increase the fire spread rate due to the increase in burning surface?
- Can the heat from the apartment fire cause skin burns and/or weaken the structure to the point of collapse?
- Can a single exposure to the smoke in the apartment have acute effects (e.g., death, incapacitation, impaired mobility, and reduced clarity of thinking) and post-exposure effects (e.g., lung damage) to the downed firefighter?
Use APA guidelines, and summarize your response. To supplement your discussion and support your conclusions, you should use information from the CSU Online Library from reputable, reliable sources, such as journal articles, case studies, scholarly papers, and other sources that you feel are pertinent. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations following APA guidelines. You must include at least three sources, including your textbook.