In this week’s Discussion, you will explore the major groups of ethical theories we call nonconsequentialist (deontological) and virtue theories. There are multiple theories in each category that you will be able to address in this week’s Discussion.
Choose ONE of the following to answer on this Discussion:
A: Which of the nonconsequentialist theories (Kantian Ethics, Divine Command Theory, Prima Facie Duties, etc.) do you find to be most logical? Discuss the merits of the theory and weaknesses.
B: Provide an example of who you believe is the “ideal virtuous person.” Describe their character and what virtues they possess that makes them “ideal.”
In addition to your posted answer, be sure to comment on at least two of your classmates’ post and participate regularly. Responses to others can come in many forms and can include the following:
- Responses to the ideas or details of someone else’s responses.
- Application of a concept from the reading to life or to the questions you’re asked to answer.
- Assistance for a peer in understanding a concept from the reading.
- Sharing a story from work or your community that illustrates the reading.
- Asking questions on points you need help understanding.
- An explanation of why you answered a question in a specific way.
- Pointing out how different answers took the question in different directions/noting a pattern/suggesting an explanation.
- Developing theories to explain patterns you see in the reading.
- Summarizing aspects of the assigned reading and asking for help from your peers in figuring out how you would apply this concept in a real world situation.